A while ago my wife set me a challenge. I’ve thought doing about this for years, but have been put off every time by the fact that there’s not a straight edge on the model. When my wife challenged me, it was time to face my fears… The challenge was:
‘Build the Serenity from Firefly’
Challenge accepted. This was one of the most difficult things I have ever built in Lego – there are so many shapes, angles, curves and contours. I loved every minute of it. The Serenity weighs 1.4Kg, is 52 cm long and I have no idea how many bricks (frankly I have no idea how people keep count – I would go insane).
Here it is…
Serenity has 2 detachable shuttles (as you’d expect) with opening wings, a stand and Wash.
The engines rotate to face vertically and the cargo bay door opens.
The top of the mid-section also lifts off to reveal the galley and the engine room.
Finally, you can see the complete set or parts here.
All-in-all, Serenity took about 4 full days to build, with improvements ongoing to make it structurally stronger and bring some of the fine details closer to Serenity as we know it.
I have been truly inspired by many other models of the Serenity, large and small. You can find these on mocpages, or the humongous, colossal, seriously did you move those on a lorry? pair of Serenity’s. Each is amazing unto itself and shows just how loved Firefly is.
All the photos you’ve seen so far were my original try of the model. It’s good to mod, so here’s a few revisions I made to the model over time. These are still more alterations I haven’t yet photographed (I’ll post an update in the near future).
The first and most obvious improvement to make was to change the engine from orange, to the iconic yellow of the series’ Serenity. One order to the Lego® Store’s ‘Pick A Brick’ later and this was my result…
Next, I noticed that I had put solar panels on both sides of the bridge section. In the show, only the right-hand side has a panel, which is larger than either of the two I put on. As such, I combined and re-shaped the solar panels, placing the result on the right-hand side. I also took the opportunity to streamline the left-hand side antenna that sits near the nose, creating the proper position of the antenna and better shape of the nose. Wash looks happier now.